When it comes to “the big game” AKA, the Super Bowl, there’s an entertainment component that often shares the spotlight— Commercials. These carefully crafted ads have become as much a part of the annual event as touchdowns and halftime shows.
For marketers, the Super Bowl 2024 presents an especially golden opportunity to captivate a massive audience and leave a lasting impression. The Kansas City and 49ers game had 123.7 million viewers– making it the most watched program in the US, ever. And advertisers did not disappoint. Join us as we celebrate the creative agencies and advertisers who we are dubbing as the “winners” of the Super Bowl ad game this year and why.
Pssst- Want the opportunity to connect with brands spending big bucks on advertising for the Super Bowl and more? Check out our sister company, Winmo’s free list of 78 top spenders. And if you need the new business team to go after these spenders, Catapult can help.
1. Uber Eats: Don’t Forget Spot
The Uber ad for the Super Bowl created by creative agency Special US stood out as impactful and exciting for several reasons, each contributing to its overall appeal and effectiveness:
- Star-studded appeal: Featuring celebrities like Jennifer Aniston, David Schwimmer, the Beckhams, Jelly Roll, and USHER, the ad capitalizes on their massive fan bases and high recognition value.
- Creative concept: The idea of having these celebrities forget their most iconic roles or achievements to highlight the convenience and range of Uber Eats is both clever and humorous. This creative approach makes the ad memorable and engaging, ensuring that the message sticks with the audience long after they’ve watched it.
- Humor and nostalgia: By using humor and playing on nostalgic elements (like referencing “Friends” and the Spice Girls), the ad connects emotionally with viewers. This emotional resonance is a powerful tool in advertising, making the message more impactful and the service more appealing.
- Timely placement: Airing the ad just after the halftime show, during the third quarter of the Super Bowl, ensures it captures a massive audience when engagement levels are high. The Super Bowl is known for its high viewership, and securing a spot in this prime time frame maximizes visibility.
- Immersive campaign experience: Beyond the ad, Uber Eats enhanced the campaign’s impact by creating an immersive experience at the Super Bowl Experience in Vegas. The “Get Almost Almost Anything Shop” brought the campaign to life, allowing fans to interact with the brand in a tangible way.
- Strategic messaging: The ad cleverly emphasizes the wide range of items available for delivery through Uber Eats, reinforcing the brand’s value proposition. By suggesting you can get “almost, almost anything” delivered, it communicated versatility and convenience, key factors in the competitive delivery service market.
2. Verizon: Can’t B Broken
This Verizon Super Bowl ad created by Ogilvy is impactful and exciting for several reasons:
- Celebrity presence: Beyoncé is one of the biggest names in the music industry, known for her immense talent, influence, and dedicated fanbase. Her appearance in a commercial during the Super Bowl adds star power to the ad and attracts attention from a wide audience.
- Engaging storyline: The ad presents an intriguing storyline where Beyoncé is challenged to break the unbreakable, Verizon’s network. This creates anticipation and excitement as viewers wonder how she will accomplish this feat.
- Creative elements: The ad is filled with creative elements that showcase Beyoncé’s personality and brand. From the Beyoncé lemonade stand to the surprise album drop and her own AI, the ad is entertaining and visually captivating.
- Teaser for new music: The ad serves as a teaser for Beyoncé’s new music, generating excitement among fans who have been eagerly awaiting new releases from the artist. The cryptic message at the end of the ad, followed by the announcement of “Renaissance: Act II” and the release of two new songs, builds anticipation and drives engagement.
- Evolution of Beyonce’s artistry: The ad hints at the evolution of Beyoncé’s artistry, with “Renaissance: Act II” rumored to be a country album. This shift in genre and imagery from her previous work adds intrigue and showcases Beyoncé’s versatility as an artist.
3. Cetaphil: Game Time Glow
This Super Bowl ad from Cetaphil created by Prompt is impactful and emotional to watch for several reasons:
- Capitalizing on the Taylor Swift craze: The ad cleverly incorporates elements associated with Taylor Swift, such as the numbers 13 and 89, friendship bracelets, and references to her status as a famous football fan. This instantly grabs the attention of Swift’s vast fan base and creates a sense of familiarity and connection.
- Subtle references: While the ad doesn’t explicitly mention Swift, her boyfriend Travis Kelce, or the Kansas City Chiefs, it subtly alludes to them through the use of familiar symbols and scenarios. This allows the ad to leverage Swift’s popularity and association with the team without directly using her likeness or music.
- Emotional storytelling: The ad tells a heartwarming story of a father and daughter bonding over their shared love for football and admiration for Swift. The moment when the father surprises his daughter with matching jerseys and friendship bracelets adds an emotional layer to the narrative, resonating with viewers on a personal level.
- Real-life connection: The ad’s tagline, “Real Father and Daughter, Living in New York,” emphasizes the authenticity of the story and reinforces the idea of familial bonds and shared experiences. This authenticity enhances the ad’s relatability and makes it more compelling to watch.
- Social media buzz: The ad has sparked discussion on social media, with many users noting its clever use of Swift imagery and its ability to capture the essence of father-daughter relationships. This buzz generates additional excitement and spreads the shared impact of strong emotions, further increasing its reach. “Yep, now I’m crying,” shared a commenter. “I love that dad’s & daughters are now experiencing this together. It also reminds me that these days with my Daddy are coming to an end soon. I’ve got to call him now & tell him I love him & thank him for all of the games he watched with me.”
4. Dunkin’: The DunKings
This year’s Super Bowl ad from Dunkin’ created by Artists Equity, features Ben Affleck and promises to be both impactful and exhilarating for viewers, thanks to its star-studded cast and innovative expansion of the BADCU (Ben Affleck Dunkin’ Cinematic Universe).
- Star-studded cast: The ad features a powerhouse lineup of celebrities including Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, and Tom Brady, as well as popular artists Jennifer Lopez and Jack Harlow. This ensemble cast adds excitement and star power to the commercial, appealing to a wide range of viewers.
- Creative concept: The ad introduces the concept of the DunKings, an exclusive group of Boston’s coffee lovers comprising Affleck, Damon, Brady, Lopez, and Harlow. This unique premise sets the stage for an entertaining and memorable commercial experience.
- Meta storytelling: The ad takes a meta approach by incorporating elements from Affleck’s real life, such as his appearance at the 2023 Grammys and his desire to create music. This adds depth to the narrative and allows viewers to connect with the characters on a more personal level.
- Entertaining scenes: The extended cut of the ad features entertaining scenes, including a spirited dance routine by the DunKings and humorous interactions between Affleck, Brady, Damon, Lopez, and Harlow. These moments captivate viewers and keep them engaged throughout the commercial.
- Potential expansion: The ad hints at the possibility of a BADCU (Ben Affleck Dunkin Cinematic Universe), sparking speculation and excitement among fans. This opens up opportunities for future collaborations and creative storytelling, extending the impact of the ad beyond the Super Bowl.
Dunkin’s ad featuring Ben Affleck and a star-studded cast lingers in our minds like the aroma of freshly brewed coffee. With its clever blend of humor, celebrity cameos, and unexpected twists, this commercial doesn’t just entertain—it leaves an indelible mark on our collective consciousness. Whether it’s the infectious energy of the DunKings or the playful nod to Affleck’s real-life endeavors, this ad reminds us that sometimes the best moments of the Super Bowl aren’t found on the field, but on our screens during the commercial breaks.
5. State Farm: Like a Good Neighbaaa
State Farm’s Super Bowl ad created by Highdive not only reunites iconic actors Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito but also wins over audiences, securing the top spot in the Super Bowl 2024 Ad Meter with its humorous and unforgettable storyline:
- Iconic reunion: The ad brings together two beloved actors, Schwarzenegger and DeVito, who previously starred together in the classic film “Twins.”
- Humorous concept: The ad’s premise revolves around Schwarzenegger’s character struggling to pronounce the company slogan correctly, adding humor to the commercial. This comedic element engages viewers and keeps them entertained throughout the ad.
- Cliffhanger teaser: The ad was teased in advance, leaving viewers curious about how Schwarzenegger’s character would resolve the pronunciation issue. This anticipation builds excitement leading up to the Super Bowl, encouraging viewers to tune in to see the full commercial.
- Creative solution: By bringing in DeVito to say the crucial line correctly, the ad cleverly resolves the protagonist’s dilemma. This unexpected twist adds an element of surprise to the commercial, delighting viewers with the reunion of these two actors and their dynamic interaction.
- Positive relationship: Schwarzenegger and DeVito’s real-life friendship and professional admiration for each other add authenticity to their on-screen chemistry. Their mutual respect and enthusiasm for working together again resonate with viewers, enhancing the ad’s appeal.
6. CeraVe: Michael CeraVe
One of the standout moments from this year’s Super Bowl was undoubtedly CeraVe’s collaboration with actor Michael Cera, created by Ogilvy. This unique partnership had been highly anticipated by fans and skincare enthusiasts alike, who were eager to see the hilarity and creativity that CeraVe and Cera delivered on game day.
- Humorous concept: In the commercial, Michael Cera delivers his ad pitch in a humorous way similar to typical, exaggerated skin care commercials. He humorously portrays himself as the developer of CeraVe’s moisturizing cream, emphasizing his passion for “human skin” and delivering lines such as “Let my cream hydrate you” with deadpan hilarity. This playful twist on the brand’s name adds humor and intrigue to the commercial, making it stand out among other Super Bowl ads.
- Viral potential: The ad’s tagline, “Developed with Michael Cera, Ve,” has already gone viral on social media, generating buzz and attention for the brand. Additionally, CeraVe’s decision to feature an image of Michael Cera with an X on his face and the disclaimer “Not Michael Cera. He’s not a Dermatologist” further fuels the viral potential of the ad.
- Celebrity appeal: Michael Cera’s involvement adds star power to the ad, attracting attention from fans of the actor as well as skincare enthusiasts. His quirky persona and comedic timing make the commercial entertaining and memorable for viewers.
- Clever marketing: By capitalizing on Michael Cera’s name and embracing the confusion surrounding it, CeraVe creates a memorable and engaging Super Bowl ad that effectively promotes its brand and products. The ad’s humorous approach and viral potential ensure that it will be talked about long after the game ends, solidifying its impact and success in the advertising landscape.
As the Super Bowl excitement settles, CeraVe’s ad with Michael Cera remains a hot topic among fans. Highly anticipated and met with immense laughter, this collaboration is sure to be remembered and discussed for a long time to come. Its clever humor and witty execution have left a lasting mark, ensuring that it will be remembered as one of the standout moments of the game. The ad was recently recognized as the games best ad, winning the Super Clio award.
7. e.l.f.: In e.l.f. We Trust
e.l.f. Cosmetics’ ad has emerged as a standout moment, seamlessly blending legal drama with makeup finesse. Created by Shadow, this ad has undoubtedly left a lasting impression on viewers.
- Star-studded cast: The ad brings together familiar faces from the hit show “Suits,” including Gina Torres, Rick Hoffman, and Sarah Rafferty, along with iconic figures like Judge Judy Sheindlin. The inclusion of celebrities like Meghan Trainor and HeidiNCloset adds to the excitement and anticipation surrounding the commercial.
- Cultural zeitgeist: By leveraging the popularity of “Suits,” “Jury Duty,” and the resurgence of Judge Judy, e.l.f. Cosmetics taps into the cultural zeitgeist of courtroom drama. This timely theme is sure to resonate with viewers and keep them engaged throughout the ad.
- Clever concept: The ad defends e.l.f.’s case for quality and affordable cosmetics in a creative and entertaining way. With a mix of scripted humor and unscripted charm, the commercial promises to captivate audiences and leave a lasting impression.
- Viral potential: With its star-studded cast and timely theme, the ad has the potential to go viral on social media. The buzz generated by the ad’s clever concept and celebrity cameos will ensure that it’s talked about long after the game ends.
- Brand promotion: By capitalizing on emerging cultural insights and leveraging the popularity of its cast, e.l.f. Cosmetics solidifies its brand as a water cooler conversation topic. This clever marketing strategy ensures that the ad effectively promotes the brand and its products to a wide audience.
E.l.f. Cosmetics’ innovative Super Bowl ad has undoubtedly captured the attention of audiences far and wide. With its unique approach and memorable execution, this ad is poised to make waves in the advertising world and solidify e.l.f. Cosmetics’ position as a creative powerhouse in the industry.
Conclusion: Get in Front of Big Fish Advertisers
As we wrap up our exploration of the captivating world of Super Bowl advertising, it’s clear that these commercials are more than just brief interruptions during the big game—they’re cultural phenomena in their own right. From clever concepts to star-packed casts, the ads showcased during Super Bowl 2024 left a lasting impression on viewers, sparking conversations and capturing our imaginations.
At Catapult, we understand the power of creativity and innovation in advertising, which is why we’re committed to helping agencies in this ever-evolving landscape. Our team provides the tools and resources needed to connect with big-name clients like the advertisers featured in this year’s Super Bowl, enabling you to land exciting opportunities and elevate your new business to new heights. See how Catapult can help today.